Sunday, January 23, 2011

Experience #2 Beauty is Painful

When I was dreaming up my list for 2011, I attempted to put down everything that I always said I wanted to try but had put off for one reason or another. The experience featured in this blog was a last minute addition.
I had entered an online contest to win free laser hair removal , and I thought it might be interesting to try. When I got the call that I had won one of the prizes, I was quite surprised and immediately added it to my list.

I went in for a consultation where I would learn how much money I’d need to add to my prize amount to pay for said treatment. One of my first concerns however was how much pain was involved. I have a high pain tolerance, but I wasn’t looking to be tortured. The procedure was described as being a slight pinching sensation. So I thought that couldn’t be that bad. I after all was a pincher growing up, and there was an incident after my mother had grown frustrated with my pinching and my sister’s biting that she had showed us exactly what those two behaviors felt like. I should have asked for a demonstration on exactly how hard they pinched because my mother had certainly not pinched me that hard.

I’d describe the sensation as having a needle prick you over and over on every inch of your legs, while you lay there cringing and anticipating the next sting. There are definitely spots that are tenderer than others, and I discovered every single one in the hour and a half process.

I suppose women really do go to great lengths to make themselves beautiful. I never thought I’d be one of those women, but my list of fearless adventures for the year are causing me to rethink my idea of what I will and won’t try.

Besides what’s a little pain if you never have to shave again? I‘m hoping it’s like what they say about having a baby and the memory of the pain will fade. Because of course, it takes more than one treatment. I go back for round two in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment