Wednesday, March 21, 2012

With a Little Bit of Luck

Have you ever gone through a period of time where it felt as if your luck has run out? That’s where I’ve been recently. Not that I was winning the lottery before or winning anything really. But you can’t help but feel that you have a little luck until everything begins to go wrong. So on St. Patrick’s Day I decided to go find some luck. Not with the luck of the Irish however. I went in search of a JuJu doll instead.

This adventure comes with a bit of back story. In Vicksburg a few weeks ago a friend had purchased a JuJu doll in an art job. The doll is supposed to be the positive version of a Voodoo doll. It looked interesting, so it came home. Fast forward a month and I mention how I’m having a streak of bad luck. He responds by saying that he’s been having good luck and he must owe it to the JuJu doll.
Where can I get one of those now?
So my quest began to find my own JuJu doll without having to return to Vicksburg to claim a bit of good luck. What better place to find a good luck Voodoo doll than in New Orleans?
Apparently, Voodoo dolls have become a tourist commodity in New Orleans. Every gift shop appears to have a collection of dolls. These dolls apparently have the ability to bring success, attract a lover, and a whole host of things that would cause me to blush if I wrote them down. The lucky rabbit’s foot has nothing on these dolls.

JuJu, the good luck charm, must be popular for it was the most difficult to find (Of course it was. My luck hasn’t changed yet.) In the end, we found one at a New Orleans themed store in the Riverwalk. It is not as attractive as the one found in Vicksburg, but it is supposed to bring good luck.
I carried my own JuJu doll home and placed it in my room. I didn’t want to scare visitors away. And I’m not talking about having a Voodoo doll in my house either.  This doll will not be winning any beauty contests. It’s a good thing it’s supposed to be lucky.
It was an interesting adventure whether it changes my luck or not. I still lean in the direction that we make our own luck, but if the JuJu doll helps out, I won’t be complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment