Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Future Meets the Past

What happens when your past and future collide? In the past few days I caught a glimpse into both my past and my future with interesting results.

Once again, for the second year, I visited the psychic. I know, I know. It’s beginning to sound like an obsession. This time was different though. Whereas last time I only experienced excitement at the thought of someone telling me what lay in store for me, I must admit to a large dose of anxiety mixed in with a tad bit of excitement this time around.
Last time I visited her with my life as an open canvas. I was unclear on what I wanted from life and willing to have someone paint the picture over the blankness. This time around, the picture on the canvas has been outlined and mostly filled in, but it isn’t quite complete. Anxiety surfaced at the thought that the psychic would tell me that I’d gone in the completely wrong direction.
Though I have changed much in the last year since I visited her last (name, hair color, etc.), she recognized me. Strangely, I’d hoped she wouldn’t. Part of me wanted to see if she’d remember what she’d told me last year. Would the new predictions be the same or completely different? If they were different, could I dismiss it all as fiction?
I’ll keep the details to myself, but she did not tell me I was going in the wrong direction. Again, she amazed me at how accurately she could describe people and things in my life without being prompted. But most importantly, I don’t feel the need to rush out and immediately make her predictions come true this time around. I’m much more willing to wait. Maybe I’ve also learned patience in the last year.
To put my obsession with the future in perspective, I’ve had surprise visits in the past week from two friends I haven’t seen or spoken to much in the last decade or so. It’s interesting that while catching up all the time you’ve missed from each other’s lives, you realize how far you’ve come from the past and how much further you would like to go.
It hasn’t been a bad journey, for I’ve experienced much on the way to my present point. Ten years ago I couldn’t have foreseen my current place in life, so whether the psychic’s predictions happen or not, I can only live and see.
So between the past and the future, I think I’ll continue to live in the present and allow the future to unravel as it slowly becomes my present. (Though I will also probably not resist going to a psychic again in the future just to see. It doesn’t hurt, and it certainly is interesting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment