Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Experience #26 Anybody for Some Football?

This past Friday I did something I never thought I’d do. I attended an LSU football game. I know. Doesn’t really seem like a big deal. But frankly even though this particular item had made it onto my original list of experiences, it was one I thought I’d never complete. I added backup items on my list just for this purpose

It’s not that I didn’t want to check this one off my list. Obviously I had willingly added it to my list. But the fact that I understand nothing about football did have plenty to do with my reluctance. I mean I know that the players make touchdowns and the team has a quarterback. I haven’t completely lived under a rock living in this area of big football fans. The simple truth is my attention span tends to wander when I don’t understand something... quite frequently I might add.
What I learned at the game though was sometimes people watching makes attending a football game worthwhile. (I’m sorry to all you football fans.)  I came away from the game believing that people are passionate about football in ways that I just may never understand.
While my friend extolled the complexities of the game to me, I occasionally (so maybe more than occasionally) stole glances around at nearby fans. Most watched the game quietly at the anxiety-filled moments or cheered at the exciting ones. The interesting fans yelled and cursed as if they had a direct connection to the coach’s earphones. One particular old man nearing 90, if not having already arrived, cursed in a manner that made me openly stare before I realized that my occasional glance had gone on too long.
Of course besides from people watching, I also noticed that nearly an entire stadium of over 93,000 people were wearing purple and gold. One lady’s sweater was mistaken for crimson and a nearby fan jumped all over that. I was glad I’d gone buy a purple shirt. For once, I didn’t mind dressing like everyone else. Don’t worry it won’t happen again.
The most surprising part of the day was that I actually enjoyed watching the game. I even found myself standing when not being told to do so to see. Typically when I’m put in a large group of people my attention span is like a child on a sugar high. I actually managed to pay attention to about 80 percent of the game and even more surprisingly with a little help from a friend to understand what was happening.
Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment