Sunday, November 13, 2011

Experience #25 Be Careful What You Wish For

This weekend I wanted adventure. I wanted a distraction from all the work I’ve been doing. I just wanted an escape before I had to get back to the school schedule and final that’s due in a week. Next time I will be more specific with my request for adventure.
On Friday I had to go to New Orleans for my appointment at the American Laser Center. It was the last appointment of the day so it was dark and everything had closed when I exited the building.
The first sign of trouble was when I couldn’t get my key to open my door. I thought the battery might be weak inside of the key, but it turned out to be the other battery, the one in my car.
So there I was in the middle of an empty parking lot, doors locked, waiting on my sister and her husband to come rescue me.
For an hour and a half I was paranoid for every cat that crept across the parking lot or piece of paper that flipped across in the wind.
When someone pulled up and switched out their vehicle for an empty car across the parking lot, my imagination streamed scenarios of CSI quality with a story spinning in my head of a body dump and facing danger as a witness. (Did I mention that my imagination is crazier than most?)
It all turned out okay in the end, but I was determined that Saturday I would have an adventure of a different variety.
I actually went out the first time as a single woman… in my entire life. Every other time I’ve gone out it has been with the ex-husband or a boyfriend. My friend Paula and I had a nice girl’s day/night out, with others joining in of course.
I also answered the question that Donna and I discussed a few weeks ago when we’d gone watch her son’s band play. How many drinks does it take to be the first one on the dance floor? Apparently for me the number is six, which of course leads to the fact that I can’t recall the last time I’ve been on a dance floor. Add another one to that list for the year. Paula was quite helpful this weekend. She’s even agreed to future experiences.
Saturday definitely made up for Friday’s unexpected nerve-wracking experience. Saturday night’s ending was ten times better and much more promising.
I did learn something this weekend that caught me by surprise. Apparently everyone is learning that if they do something with me, I will write about it later. That’s probably true. Might be why I’m having trouble finding people to join in anymore. It is true in most cases, but I only ever make fun of myself, I promise. So no need to worry (So Paula all those things that you told me not to write about, you’re safe… for now).

No comments:

Post a Comment