Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Resolution

At ten I wanted to be famous in a way that everyone knew me and envied my glamorous life as a writer. This was before I grew up to know that writer’s lives are not that glamorous and most are only recognized by their most avid fans.


You may ask why I am reminiscing about what I wanted to be when I grew up when I’m all grown up already. In the newest issue of Oprah magazine, an article stated that we’d have the most job satisfaction if we did what we wanted to do when we were ten.

My first thought was that at ten I still played with Barbie’s to act out my dreams. I don’t think they pay to play with Barbies. (Though, that may increase job satisfaction). But seriously, at ten we dreamed of being the best version of ourselves. The self that hadn’t figured out that we weren’t good enough yet at everything. But that may be the point.

What would we really be happy at doing if we didn’t doubt ourselves?

Truthfully, over the years I’ve had many distractions in the past that led me away from that ten-year-old version of myself. As I get older, and especially after my birthday this weekend, I think maybe I need to remind myself of what my ten-year-old self wanted. When I get busy, writing always gets pushed aside. (Hence, my blog is late). My childhood self would make enjoyment a priority. Maybe that’s what we really forget to do. We forget that work can be enjoyed and not just be a countdown until the weekend.

So I need to make writing a priority again, which means I’ll need to submit my blog on time and finish up that children’s book I keep dwelling on. I wonder if I can include Barbie dolls in this new plan. My daughter may like the playmate. I can always claim I’m acting out the story ideas I plan to write.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I wanted to be a ballerina. It an't happening for me either. lol
    Heather Plaisance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still play barbies with my Megan. Thinking if a had the dream house and the camaro, or the perfect 36-24-36 body. We dress up, play horse and fairy tale, act out a barbie movie or who knows, imagination never ends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there were no barbies for me - there were however paper dolls (the Lenon Sisters). As a child, I wanted to be one of two things. I wanted to be a teacher or a professional dancer. Can you envision me as the latter? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete