Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Change of the Seasons

The crisp, cool air of fall has arrived heralding my favorite time of year. I once read somewhere that people have a preference for the season they were born. Though I don’t know if this is true for everyone, it is certainly true for me.


In South Louisiana, we don’t get to see the leaves change color, but we do notice the stifling heat give way to cool nights and crisp mornings.

My favorite part of fall is the bonfires though. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I paid much attention to the magnetic excitement that tingled through me as the flames scorched my face and the air chilled my body. I’d sit bundled up around the bonfire my dad had built for us, shivering and thriving on the rush.

The contradictory elements made me feel alive in a way that only teenagers feel. I can remember discussing the latest crushes and camping out in our old playhouse just to continue the night of excitement. The air electrified by the possibilities of what could happen during our chilly night under the clear, sparkling stars. An excitement that only the young experience.

So as fall arrives, I’m in need of some of that teenage resilience, so I’m welcoming the season wholeheartedly. I’m going to break out my sweaters, wrap myself in a blanket, and enjoy the beautiful clear darkness of a fall night.

No comments:

Post a Comment