Sunday, August 22, 2010

Smarter than a Kindergartener

My daughter began Kindergarten this past week. She attended preschool at the same school last year, so it wasn’t the big deal of a child's first day of school. There were no tears involved (I mean by me, of course).
She loves school and always has. At two years old, she sat down next to her brother and wanted to do his homework with him. Weeks before Kindergarten began, she bounced around for weeks asking when would she get to go to school.
On Friday, only a few days after starting, she returned home with an interesting take on learning.
As I was getting ready to go out, she came find me to tell me she wanted to beat a little boy in her class. I had to pause a moment. Though she’s a rough little girl and has been known to chase her brother down with boxing gloves, she doesn’t like to get into trouble at school. I questioned her, and she rushed into a story about this boy thinking he’s smarter than her, so she’s going to beat him.
I sighed with relief. I wouldn’t be summoned to the principal’s office, chastised for poor parenting, but then she explained that I was going to help her. She’s going to do first grade work in Andrew’s old books so she can get smart.
Wanting to reassure her confidence, I told her that she was already smart.
She laughed and said, “I know that already, Mommy. I want to be smarter.”
Did I have that confidence at five? I think I may remember it. There was a kindergarten incident where I built a tower of blocks and knocked it over onto another little girl, on purpose.
On second thought, I think I’ll just let her carry on without interference. She’s doing a wonderful job all on her own.

1 comment: