Monday, August 2, 2010

Ode to Summer

As I was swimming laps in my pool yesterday evening, I had to sigh at my two days left of summer vacation. I can’t help but wonder where the lazy days of summer have gone.

As a child, summer lasted forever. The only worry I had was how much Sun In I could put on my hair in a day or how tan could I get without looking as if I needed to change my race status. With nothing but a good book to worry about, I didn’t notice time marching onward.

Fast forward to as an adult where I have to cram everything I don’t get done during the school year into a dwindling summer, and it’s no wonder I like to reminisce about those summers where my to-do list had items like midnight hide-n-seek.

What I really miss about summer is writing time. It’s the only time of the year where I don’t feel guilty not grading papers or writing lesson plans. I can spend whole days writing and reading and not balance the two- one job that pays and the other that doesn’t.

Sigh again. One day left of my summer and counting. Oh, how I’ll miss summer.

2 comments:

  1. Each summer I keep thinking we'll have more time to visit and we turn around and summer is gone! Next year - Road trip - Anhinga again. "Our time!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jessica. How lovely. "... where my to-do list had items like midnight hide-n-seek." WOW.

    I too can't believe it's August and the entire summer has vanished. The only redemption here is that Florida is so hot that if I close my eyes and inhale the chilled fragrance of a Pina Colada, I can pretend it's sweltering summer until Thanksgiving and recapture a summer moment that slipped by when I was doing other things.

    Time, SLOW DOWN!!!

    ReplyDelete