Monday, December 31, 2012

End of 2012



 In typical end of the year fashion, I have pulled out my 2012 goals to access how much I’ve accomplished. It is that time of the year after all. The time where we say goodbye to the old and look forward to the new. which of course translates into making outlandish resolutions for the incoming year.

As I looked over my 2012 list though, I experienced a surge of disappointment. I hadn’t accomplished nearly half of what I’d hoped in 2012. All those fitness and writing goals I’d so thoughtfully listed had not materialized, nor had this year’s experiences quite worked out the way I’d intended.

This could lead to negative thoughts on the status of 2012. Maybe the year was a failure if I couldn’t accomplish all those lofty goals. But all those items not achieved don’t say anything about all the great things that I did do in 2012.

As I thought about this, I came up with my top ten reasons that 2012 was a great year and not the failure that all those unchecked items indicated.

10.  This was the year of great entertainment. From the Lady Antebellum concert to the two Broadway musicals Mary Poppins and Les Miserable to the opera in Spain, this year I enjoyed one of my favorite forms of entertainment, live performances. For years this is something I would have said I wanted to do but would not have followed through with making plans or getting tickets. This year I made sure they happened, and I intend to continue with this philosophy in the future. Putting things off becomes habit. Habits are made to be broken.

9. I bought a new car… on my own. Even though many people in my life didn’t feel that I should have done it on my own, because I was a woman and that indicated a certain weakness that could be used as a disadvantage. Well tough. I am on my own. If I wait for someone to come around and take care of me, I will miss out on many experiences. I managed to buy the car and get a good deal, even though I’m a woman who knows nothing about cars. Enough said.

8. I turned 35, that halfway point between being still young and feeling like I’m not so young (I will not dare say old.). And I didn’t have a nervous breakdown when I reached that midway point. (I will confess to a little anxiety leading up to the birthday). I celebrated with a group of fantastic ladies who are always willing to celebrate or commiserate, whatever is necessary. And surprisingly at the end of the night, I’d gained the insight that the number of years was a direct reflection on the lessons I’ve learned and the person I’ve become. I wouldn’t give back any of those years or experiences because the number of candles on my birthday cake becomes too many for me to blow out in one breath.

7. Traveling to Memphis via road trip. Blues, barbeque and Elvis Priestly: what more can you ask for in a successful road trip? It was on this trip that I learned that I actually like to travel. Before, I thought that I wasn’t very compatible with it. But here I learned that I liked to explore and learn new things and the best way to do this is get out there and see it for myself. The verdict is still out on whether I’m a good traveling companion. Maybe 2013 will answer that question.


6. Ice skating with the kids. One of the difficult facts I’ve had to face since the divorce is that all the old Christmas traditions I’ve held dear have pretty much disappeared. And for the last two Christmases, I’ve been at a lost to what traditions will become the future. This year we took the kids ice skating. As usual, Cara tackled the challenge with everything she had and Andrew sat back and watched and didn’t even put the skates on his feet. But when it was done, Cara asked if we could do this again every year. And for the first time in a few years, I felt like maybe there could be new traditions to replace the old.


5. Hot Air ballooning in Spain. Even though it was a nerve-wracking experience, it was an experience of a lifetime, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It’s one of those experiences that you look forward to for a long period of time, and when it finally happens, it does not disappoint.



4. I took my first vacation with just my kids and myself. The kids and I traveled to Florida via road trip style for our first family vacation since the divorce. It was another one of those accomplishments that leave you feeling strong and accomplished and capable of taking care of anything.

3. The Magic Fountain in Barcelona. Even though I did so many things in Spain that could fill this list, I’m choosing the fountain to represent the entire experience of being in another country. It was sitting near the fountain and watching its magical water and light show that I finally felt the magic of being in a foreign place and the feelings of inspiration and excitement that are wrapped up in incredible experiences.

2. I completed my editing certification and I became an actual editor. After a year and half of classes and hard work, I completed my certification and then began my first editing job for booksBnimble. This is one of those dreams that I’ve had nearly my entire life… to be an editor… and 2012 is the year that it became real and not just a dream that I had let me pass by.

1. Muddy Bayou, Muddy Grave, and Cara the Pirate. In 2012, my writing career has finally begun. I had my first book signing, Muddy Bayou continues to sell, and I recently released Muddy Grave. I also finished Cara the Pirate after my daughter’s repeated requests all year to have the story I’ve made up for her since she was three as a book. Writing became a priority again in 2012.

So even though, my 2012 resolution list wasn’t nearly completed, it was still a fantastic year. As I wrestle with the extensive list for 2013, I know that it doesn’t matter at the end of the year about what doesn’t get checked off of this list. It’s really about all the great things that are yet to come. So maybe we should all keep that in mind when we are making our resolutions or looking back on the ones that we didn't accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment