Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Stories from Spain: Up in the Air

Even with all the great sites and activities that Barcelona offers, the one experience I wanted to have while I was there was a ride in a hot air balloon. I’d checked out all the online sites before my trip, but I’d figured it would be easy to book the balloon experience when we were actually in the city.

I was wrong. First of all, it’s not called hot air ballooning in Spain. After three different travel agents puzzled over my request, the last which had me write it down for translation, I was finally told that I was asking for the wrong thing around town. And after all that trapezing around Barcelona looking for a travel agent to help me, I ended up having to book it online anyway.
Using fans to inflate the balloon on the ground.

After an hour drive out of Barcelona on the last day of our Spanish trip, the hot air balloon wish was going to happen. I watched as the two balloons were slowly inflated using fans. I have to admit that nerves had fully taken over by this point, and I was second guessing my choice of dream activities. I was afraid of heights. I was terrified of falling from great heights. Why had I thought this was a good idea?

Then it was time to get into the basket. I had definetly not thought it out because I'd worn a dress. At this point in our trip, I had exactly two outfits cleaned, and neither of them would have allowed a graceful entrance into the basket which for some reason I had in my head would have a door. I did manage to climb gracefully into the basket though and hop right in, though the whole time I kept hoping that no one would see me fall over into it, in a very unladylike manner. It was during our drill on what to do if we have a rough landing that did it though. Had I lost my mind thinking I was going to go up in a hot air balloon?

Once in the air though, I did relax some. I can’t say that the nervous feeling went away, but it did lessen. There is something about being in the air with no control over when you come down as well as the uneasy feeling that you will tip over the side of the basket that doesn’t make relaxation possible.

Landing wasn’t easy either. Once in the air, the wind determines your destination. It took over twenty minutes just for the wind to steer us to an area we could safely land. It actually took less time to deflate the balloon and pack it all in than it did to land.


Once back at the launch site, our guides poured champagne and toasted sandwiches on the hot air balloon’s burners. It tasted almost as good as my appreciation for being back on the ground.
Wonderful experience… but one I don’t feel the need to repeat. Although my fear of heights feels nearly gone. The fear of falling on the other hand could use some help.
The balloon being folded back up after our flight.
The view of the other balloon from the air. The views were amazing.
Our balloon operator toasting our sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment