Sunday, February 5, 2012

Book Signing

The much anticipated first book signing took place this weekend. My close friends and family have read and evaluated the book, so it was time to get my book into the hands of people who don’t know me. Because of course, my family can’t really say, “No, I’m not really that interested in reading it.” Just like telling your squeaky voice niece that she can sing, reading your relative’s book is a requirement.

There is something unnerving about sitting and waiting for people to approach you so that you can convince them that your book is worth the purchase and read though. How does a person go about choosing a book?  And for that matter, does everyone you approach actually read books?
The book signing went well even with my nervousness. I went with a goal of how many books I wished to sell, and I left having sold exactly that number. It was a great day to have a book signing at LA Cajun with the singer Tete Deur playing music from his new CD on the inside of the store as well as another author signing books opposite me. The store attracted quite a crowd that day.
One of my students came out to have her book signed.
Many people I know came out to see me and I’m grateful for everyone who has bought my book, but for the first time I had the experience of trying to get strangers to read my book. I actually look forward to talking to more potential readers.
Now it is time to work on Muddy Grave. The sequel is still in the works, and hopefully soon I will be sitting down to sign and convince others to read both books.

Tete Deur playing inside LA Cajun.

No comments:

Post a Comment