Saturday, December 24, 2011

Experience #33 Two Days of Firsts

There’s something about live entertainment that draws me in. I love the rising curtain and the anticipation of what will unfold on a stage where anything can happen. Pair that with my fascination of acrobatic feats, and it is no surprise that I wished to add Cirque’s Holidaze show to my list as a nice way to wrap up my experiences for the year.

The show was truly spectacular with my favorite act being the gingerbread boy who flipped endlessly through the air with the aid of the gingerbread man’s feet. When I thought he couldn’t possibly perform any more flips in the air, he’d return and complete even more than the time before.

From the balancing, to the jump roping, to the juggling, to the flying through the air, my date had me thinking about what I’d do if I were to perform in a show. I think I’d want to be the acrobat who twirled high above the audience on what appeared to be extra-long curtain sheers. Maybe it has something to do with my fear of heights and not being acrobatic in the least that attracts me to this particular performance. Who knows, maybe I’ll attempt it one day.
The trip to New Orleans was filled with firsts outside of seeing a Cirque performance though. For the first time I tried oysters. They were charbroiled (raw will never touch my lips. I draw the line there.), and I didn’t spit them out. That was a plus. I’m not saying I’m rushing back for more, but hey, I can at least say I tried them.
I also rode a streetcar for the first time. Even with all my excursions into New Orleans, I’ve never had occasion to ride one of the trolley cars. It’s much slower than the New York subway, but I suppose the South does do things at its own pace.
I also wandered into Faulkner House Books for the first time. It’s the smallest bookstore with the biggest reputation among authors. I’d love to be tucked away in a cozy bookstore like this one and sell people books all day. But for now, I couldn’t leave without adding books to my Louisiana books collection.

I also shared a cab with strangers, who ended up not being strangers. I walked through Santa’s Workshop and through Armstrong Park. It was certainly a great two days to wrap up an adventurous year. I look forward to what the rest of the year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment