Monday, October 10, 2011

Experience #21 The Experience that Wasn't

I’ve always wanted to go rock wall climbing. I’d pass in front of the walls at amusement parks and wonder if I would be able to make it to the top. Of course, I never tried because I didn’t want anyone laughing if I couldn’t make it two feet off the ground. That, of course, made it the perfect item to add to my list for the year.

I decided to take the kids to Slidell Rocks, a rock climbing gym, this weekend. I’d mentioned this experience to the children, and Cara insisted that she wanted to do this one with me. Her brother, on the other hand, insisted that it was something that he only wanted to watch. I couldn’t convince anyone else to come with us, so unfortunately the experience ended up being a kids only experience. Each climber needs a spotter, and I did not have one of those.

Cara on one of her five trips to the top.



  Being the spotter for my children was an experience in itself though. Cara took to it like everything else she attempts. She pushed herself until she made it to the top, and she now proudly brags to everyone that she made it to the top five times. Andrew did it as he does everything… hesitantly. We were in the gym nearly an hour before he’d try a harness line climb, and the only way to get him above the yellow line (the line you have to wear a harness above) was to bribe him with ice cream. He never made it to the top, a fact his sister has reminded him of in visual graph form, but I’m proud of him for even trying with his intense fear of heights.

Andrew about to reach the yellow line
that he will only push his head right over.


They have both decided they want to return to the gym, so we are planning a second visit. This next time though I want to be a climber as well as the spotter. So I’ve decided I need to look early for that person who thinks they can keep up with this list as I hurry to the finish line. The qualifications are simple. 1) Positive support 2) No laughing, even if I only get two feet in the air 3) No backing out.

I also have a few other things on my list for the year that we can talk about. Leave a message if you’re interested.
Andrew hanging upside down like Spiderman.


Cara not wanting to be outdone by big brother.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still laughing that Andrew only made a couple of feet off the ground. I guess I'll have to spot you and encourage him to go 3 feet this time. Yeah Cara! but then again, she is the daredevil!

    ReplyDelete