Sunday, July 17, 2011

My Harry Potter Weekend

This weekend was what I’ll call my fix for my Harry Potter addiction. Considering that I trekked to Florida to the theme park, to New York to the Exhibit, and between my son and I, we own wands, broom, books, movies, candy, oh you get the picture. An addiction is the obvious conclusion.

Harry Potter gift bags.
First, Saturday was my son’s birthday party. He loves Harry Potter nearly as much as I do, so he chose to go with a Harry Potter theme. Normally this would mean that I go into full scale party planning, but this year his party was at Pinocchio’s Pizza Place. Unfortunately, the place only allows you to bring in a cake.

This presented a problem for my itching party planning skills (Not to mention that addiction to everything Harry Potter). I got creative anyway and made cute broomstick gift bags.

Yes, I encourage my son to follow my addiction, and he handed them to his friends, including the chocolate frog inside each bag. (This was technically against Pinocchio’s rules. But I figured I’d be bold, and no one would stop me.)

Sunday, he and I made it to the movie theater to watch the new film. The delay was due only to the required babysitter for my daughter. My son wanted to be camped out Thursday night at the theater with everyone else waiting impatiently. I was with him, but I did have to be the responsible mom as well as feed the Harry Potter addiction.

The movie did not disappoint. I have been a fan of the books since I picked up the first book thirteen years ago at a book fair. Seeing the culmination of all those years of books and movies on screen was quite emotional. (Yes, I cried, but I also laughed.) I’d waited for this movie to come out to end this epic saga since its release date was announced, but it was bittersweet for there would be no more waiting. I had felt the same way at the end of Book 7.

Watching this great story, listening to an audience who claps along with parts or sniffles through emotional scenes makes me want to create a story that I feel the same way as when I read or watch the stories of Harry Potter. I want to create something that brings me to tears and causes a few laughs as J.K. Rowling’s stories have always done for me.

This is what I’ve always wanted to do since I penned that first story in sixth grade that went on for over a hundred pages, and I was so proud of it when I finished. (Though I would never let anyone see it today.)

Though I sometimes lose sight of this dream in my day to day life, it’s stories like Harry Potter that remind me and inspire me to keep that dream working in my head. I think this above all is what draws me to the Harry Potter stories above all others.

I’m already planning to return to the theater to see it again. This time I’m looking for company that doesn’t ask me a million questions throughout like my son. I want to sit quiet and watch it unfold once again as it all comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment