Monday, June 20, 2011

Experience #15 Broadway and New York Continued

On the third night of our trip, we had tickets to watch Wicked at the Gershwin theatre on Broadway. Seeing a Broadway show was one of the original thirty-three items on my list (though someone told me it was cheating doing two items on my list together.) I hadn’t paid too much attention to the particulars of the musical; I had heard that it was supposed to be real good and that was enough for me. Katie played music from the musical during the afternoon and belted out the songs, warning us that she may continue her performance during the actual performance.

I glanced over at a her a few times to check if she was singing, but otherwise I was riveted by the actual performance, leaning forward in my seat for the entire show. I was sad to see it end. I had never watched a musical live and nothing can compare to seeing this show performed live. Though I’d wanted to read the novel before I saw the musical, time had run out before the start of the trip. However, I downloaded the novel while still in New York to read on the trip home.



As I’m nearly finished the novel now, it strikes me at how someone can read a novel and envision the story as something entirely different. Though the novel is excellent, I feel as though I’m reading a different story entirely about the same characters, as if two narrators witnessed the story and each has a completely different perspective to share with me. My favorite is definitely the musical (I will have to retract my statement about liking the books more than the movies in all cases, but then again, maybe I won’t count it since it is technically a musical.)

My trip did not end there. Sunday we walked and walked and walked. (I decided I needed to add incline walking to my exercise routine since my legs were so sore I walked like an old woman after sitting too long.) We had brunch at Sara Beth’s, shopping, dessert at Serendipity, more shopping, and more walking.

Monday began a two day bus tour on a quest to see the various places that compose New York City. Besides from Harlem, Brooklyn, China town, uptown, downtown, and everywhere in between, I also witnessed the New York City tour guide. Everyone really is in show business, including your local neighborhood tour guide. On our tour of Brooklyn, we were serenaded with show toons by our tour guide who readily admitted that he was auditioning for parts on Broadway and had once performed there as well. Another tour guide fired off joke after joke as he rehearsed for his standup comedy routine. The least likable of our guides lectured us on the reasons we should give good tips to our guides and our drivers. He went as far as to tell us that our change was only good at the airport.

On the last leg of our bus tour, Donna had a Lucy moment and could not cease laughing as a kind, older gentleman wrapped her up in a poncho. As strangers turned to stare at us and see what the uncontrollable laughter was about, I had a moment where I wished that I could disappear inside my own poncho. I could laugh though, knowing that one day I will use that moment in a story, and I will be perfectly capable of describing what it feels like for everyone on a bus to think you are with a crazy person.

Our last day of seeing the city, we journeyed to the Statue of Liberty. One really does expect it to be this looming fixture over the city. In fact, on the flight into the city, I’d searched below to find it. (At this time, Donna had not been enjoying her motion sickness and had looked as if I continued rambling on, she might just lose it. So I’d looked out the plane window instead, but not too close since she also had the window seat.)

There was an incident as we returned to the ferry from viewing the statue. After being made to abandon the dock where we’d lined up to board on our return journey, the Harbor Patrol searched the ferry with the dogs. Rumors abounded throughout the crowd as to what they searched for with no actual facts being divulged. (The incident did provide excellent story ideas though.)

The journey to the airport that returned us to Louisiana was far less eventful. Donna did not enjoy our high-speed, swerving cab ride to the airport. But all I could say was that I’ve ridden with people who have driven worse. I’m not sure that speaks highly of my judgment about who I get in a vehicle with.

It was a wonderful first visit to New York City. I took in many of the sights, including the Empire State building, the Statue of Liberty, and the stores. I already know what I want to do on my return to the city because you just can’t do it once.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to add that he helped you with your poncho as well! lol That's what makes trips memorable. You may eventually, with old age, forget the sites you saw, but you will always remember the laughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had come across your blog a little sooner because I would have told you to take advantage ofCity Maps . You should still look at it even though your back so you will know for next time. Looks like a fun trip though!

    ReplyDelete