Saturday, March 5, 2011

Scott's Story Unraveled

Okay, so this is veering off of my story a bit. I've been told several times in my life that I have inspired people. Usually, I don't see the outcome of that inspiration. My cousin Scott has hit a low point in his life, and when he was there he was inspired by the stories that I tell, and he asked that I share his story  in his own words with our family and friends. So here's his words. Words that I hope we can all learn from, for at some point in time everyone reaches a low point, and it's those people who listen who help us reach upward instead of stay at the bottom.

To everyone who’s been wondering where I have gone to or what has happened to me, I’m asking my cousin Jessica to publish this story for me. I know I have changed over the last couple of years and for those that this has affected, I’m sorry. I’m especially sorry to my wife Lacie and my two lovely sons, Nathan and Kaleb.


I have learned much over the last week where I’ve been staying and working on myself. The main thing I have learned is that I never want to be the person I’ve become ever again because it has caused me to lose everything that I’ve cared about in my life. First my family then my friends and possessions.

I was always one to be the strong type and not to reach out for any help even though I needed it. Go figure I would wait until it would be too late, the story of my life. Like everyone else, I’m not perfect. I want all my friends and family to know that I have taken that first step and feel like I’m making progress.

I’ve been having a drug problem on and off for the last several years and this also led me to an anger issue. It took me recently losing my best friend and lovely wife Lacie Dominique and not being able to see my two wonderful sons Nathan and Kaleb to realize this. I didn’t want to see the problem I had. Maybe it was because I was too scared to reach out for help or because I’d wonder what people would think of me.

I never thought I could feel the way that I have felt in the last month. I was at an all -time low in my life and thought nothing could bring me back. I zoned out everyone and everything around me. I did not get out of bed for a week and did nothing but sleep. I did this because while I was asleep, it just didn’t hurt so bad when I couldn’t think about it. It wasn’t because I had no one there for me because my wife was after me to get help for a while; I just wouldn’t listen. My parents were also pushing me to go to work and move on so I wouldn’t lose my job, but none of that mattered anymore. My friends would call, but I’d just ignore the calls and text messages.

Finally, I decided to get some help. It’s something I wish I would have done a long time ago. It’s something I wish I would have opened my eyes to a long time ago because like I said it cost me the most important things in my life, and trust me there is nothing worth losing your family over. A little suggestion to anyone with a problem like I have is don’t wait until it’s too late to get some help or reach out to someone. There are no words that I can say to tell you how it feels to lose your wife and kids. It nearly pushed me completely over the edge, to rock bottom. With the help of family and friends and some people with the same problems, I’m feeling like I’m going to be able to overcome this and move on with my life. So I’d like to say thanks to everyone who has been there for me. “Getting help doesn’t mean you failed. It means you have support.”

-Scott Dominique

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Scott. It is never to late to help yourself and by helping yourself, you inspire others. It's a long, never ending journey to make ourselves whole but you are on the way. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott , just remember that no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. It takes a strong person to admit when they are wrong and you are trying to reach out for the support you need to change things. Good Luck with everything. Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am a very old friend of Scott's and we lost touch. We Used to fly together a lot (I was 18 year old guy with the Cessna 172 when he worked for Charlie Hammond). I wanted to check and see how he is doing. I saw this post and was worried about him. Can someone tell him I said "hi" or let me know how he is. I would really appreciate it.

    Justin Carnagey
    jwcarnagey@aol.com

    ReplyDelete